Courses in 2013
Courses dates: 18/19 May, 22/23 June, 7/8 September
(See course itinery below)
10:00 - 17:00 hrs
Cost: £175.00 includes lunch & refreshments, course notes and completion certificate.
Book 2 places for £300.00.
(Our courses are supported by the Blackdown Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty - Sustainable Development Fund)
The first day is an introduction to aquaponics which includes basic theory, different methods used and a tour of our demonstrations. The following is covered on day one:
• Introduction to aquaponics – definitions, global perspective & future developments
• Aquaponic basics: system designs, component parts, equipment requirements,
• Fish species to grow, physiology, husbandry, feeding & harvesting
• Plants to grow, propagation and care• Water quality basics and monitoring
• Tour of demonstrations
The second day we consider aquaponics in more depth, providing students to gain knowledge and skills in designing, building and managing an aquaponics system which will meet their own needs. Part of the day will be hands on and time will be given to formulating your own specific project and drawing up a plan. The following is covered on day two:
• Designing an aquaponic system: the pitfalls, the priorities, the pros and cons of different approaches, whether to build your own or buy an off the shelf system, assess and learn from our demonstrations, figure out what you will need, how much it could cost and the effort involved. Hear our stories and learn from them!
• Discuss your designs and get feedback
• Building an aquaponic system, what tools do you need, how do you go about building a system from scratch or using an off the shelf system, get some hands on experience and ask lots of questions,
• Caring for an aquaponic system – setting up the system and commissioning, adding plants and fish, caring for the plants and fish, monitoring the key parameters and learn what is involved in routine maintenance harvesting the produce.
• Have an opportunity to taste some of the produce from the system!
• Plan your system: discuss your plans with the group, get feedback and chart out the milestones
• Browse our shop and take advantage of our course discount if you buy on the day (save 10%)
Click here to book on one of our aquaponic courses