Aquavision Consultancy Services
For over 16 years Aquavision has been providing a range of consultancy services both in the UK and overseas. Having experience in practicing aquaculture within several areas while at the same time being involved in strategic development provides for a broad understanding of aquaculture and it’s sustainable development.
The consultancy work undertaken by Aquavision covers 6 principle areas involving both the private and commercial sectors. For more information on specific projects, click on the case studies below each heading
Carried out feasibility studies and drew up draft standards in organic aquaculture for salmon, trout, bivalve shellfish, shrimp and carp for the Soil Association. (1997 – 2004). These standards are internationally recognised as being among the best in the world.
- Produced the first organic carp in the UK on our farm in Devon, UK
- Organic Shrimp standard (Madagascar)
- Carp standard
- Okehampton, Devon
Pond & Lake Management
Aquavision has carried out numerous ecological surveys / assessments on lakes and large ponds for a range of requirements. The work has included the management of fish stocks, aquatic vegetation control & management, stocking and managing a fishery, management plans and project management.
- Oil Spill – project management
- Fisheries feasibility study in Somerset
- Pond Maintenance, South Hams, Devon
- Pond Maintenance, near Tiverton, Devon
Pond and lake construction
Aquavision has carried out a range of site assessments for constructing new ponds / lakes or refurbishing existing ones. Many of the project plans were then undertaken by Aquavision. This work involved the use of a range of different linings including natural clay, synthetic rubber membranes, PVC liners, fibre glass and concrete.
- Rawridge, Devon
- Kilmington, Devon
- Kennington, Devon
Developed courses in aquaculture, aquaponics and pond management for members of the public.
Given lectures to college & university students, permaculture students, specialist groups such as angling clubs & gardening clubs
- Upper Hayne short courses
- Environment Agency
Written numerous articles on a range of topics primarily associated with sustainable aquaculture
Featured in numerous newspaper articles and magazine publications in connection with carp farming as well as appearing on several television programmes including Channel 4’s River Cottage and BBC’s ‘Countryfile’ and ‘The One Show’
Jimmie Hepburn has sat on numerous industry committees and groups including the Soil Association Aquaculture Standards Board, and Defra consultative group on developing a plan for aquaculture in England,
- Defra report
Approach to work
Perhaps one of the first in the UK to identify the need for developing more sustainable approaches in aquaculture, Jimmie Hepburn’s experience in working in this field both at the farm and the strategic level simultaneously is quite unique. To find sustainable solutions whether it is for a specific fish farm operation or to provide guidance on regional or national planning greatly benefits with this breadth and depth of experience.
Consultancy work undertaken
The following range of projects can be undertaken by Aquavision. We are happy to discuss with you the requirements for your project, providing an outline of our approach, what we can provide and a price to undertake the consultancy.
- Feasibility studies for fisheries, fish farms, aquaculture projects including aquaponics
- Management plan for aquaculture and related projectsProject management of aquaculture, pond & lake projects
- Design new build and refurbishment of ponds and lakes projects
- Teaching /lecturing & designing courses in aquaculture and related topics
- Strategic planning for aquaculture Writing articles
- Giving interviews or providing assistance in the production of media covering aspects of aquaculture and related subjects